Today’s blog is going to cover my particular challenges I see that companies continue to make with their marketing
- No branding. This is when a company has no creative people on staff. They have SMART people on staff, but no creative people. So they base their brands on details that they think are important, rather than what their potential customers would think are important. There’s no emotional connection and marketing and websites tend to be a mess of words in a bunch that don’t resonate with anyone except whomever tried to write it in the first place.
- TOO MUCH BRANDING. This is when a company has no real idea who their target market is. So they spend much of their time being everything to everyone. Want to hire us to detail your car? We also can balance your checkbook and we know how to hunt deer. There’s so much noise in this marketing that no one can make out any one, clear message. Bells, whistles and blinking lights don’t mean a thing if they don’t resonate with the target market you’re trying to reach.
- Throwing stuff at the wall to see if it sticks. This is generally a company that thinks they know marketing better than anyone else. They are familiar with email marketing, PPC and SEO - but that doesn’t make them experts. Cuz there’s no plan. Instead of ready, aim, fire, HIT - it’s FIRE, FIRE, FIRE and miss, miss, miss. Instead of considering how they themselves consume media and marketing and what works with them – they run amok, trying everything under the sun and create zero consistency and understanding with the people they are trying to reach.
- No investment. Companies who invest heavily in their marketing teams and subsequently sales teams see great results. Going cheap in marketing means you get what you pay for. Low quality leads that send your sales people down rabbit holes instead of great leads that convert and close.
- Not keeping track of customer lists. I can’t even tell you how many companies we hear from that have no way to keep track of customer information. Potential clients who email or call a business that don’t convert ASAP are tossed to the side as if they don’t matter. This is a HUGE MISTAKE. All potential business is just that – POTENTIAL BUSINESS. Maybe they aren’t ready to go, yet. But all of their information should be captured and marketed to – for when they are ready to sign up.
Is this your company? Good news is – this is all really very normal. This happens because business is run by passionate individuals who have built a sustainable business in the short term. But to continue growth means to invest in marketing experts who can bring your company to the next level. Continuing to make these five mistakes will keep your competition ahead and your company far behind.